NIC Instruments is a world class design and manufacturing company, utilising the very latest in production techniques. Working with Military and Government end users around the world, new products are regularly introduced, and all design and manufacture is carried out in the UK.
NIC Instruments work across various engineering specialities, including full mechanical, electronic and software design. designing and developing innovative high tech products, and provide goods and services related to; Explosive Ordinance Disposal, High Threat Search, and CBRNe.
Please see below for our current list of vacancies. If you would like to apply or know of anyone who may be interested please contact us.
We will not engage with any unsolicited agency approaches unless you are an existing preferred supplier.
Robotics Software Engineer
Danny Norcott, Manager of Research and Development
NIC Instruments Ltd, Folkestone, Kent CT19 5NF
The appointee will be based at NIC Instruments Ltd
OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB
NIC Instruments has an on-going programme of robotics research and development, based largely on their unmanned ground vehicle (UGV) for bomb disposal and complimentary applications.
The technology currently in use is a combination of in-house design and off the shelf solutions. The immediate focus will be to assist with the release of some exciting new features, but will then move onto developing new functionality, whilst supporting the released software in the field. The UGV is seen as an on-going project, with limitless possibilities for expansion, including the creation of additional robotic products.
This is an exciting opportunity for a skilled and experienced software engineer with an aptitude for control algorithms, who has ideally already worked in a commercial programming environment. The candidate should be comfortable with creating new projects, bug fixing and working with existing projects that have been written by other people.
The right candidate will be a quick learner, a team player, and have a range of the following skills and qualifications:
- Competency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook essential
- The ability to work alone, and as part of a small team
- The ability to compile technical proposals, requirements and specifications
- A desire to constantly learn and actively partake in their own Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Significant hands-on programming experience plus a minimum of 3 years in a related role
- Experience or knowledge of working with a software development methodology
- Experience of working with serial ports under Windows®, Linux® and within custom C++ and C# applications, including RS232 and RS485 protocols
- Vector based graphic manipulation is an advantage
- A degree in Computer Science/Cybernetics/Control Engineering or equivalent
- A Masters, a PhD, and Chartership are all preferred
- Ability to design, develop and productionise software using multi-threaded C++ and C#
- Familiarity with Linux and it’s control via the terminal
- The ability to perform minor Linux Kernel modifications at the source level
- Familiarity with version management software such as GIT
- An aptitude for aesthetically pleasing, user-friendly Windows GUI design
- A strong bug finding ability additionally within multithreaded environments
- Knowledge and experience in Communication bus systems, motor control, RF transmission systems and video processing would be an advantage, as would a basic knowledge of electronics and mechanical design
Salary is dependent on relevant experience and qualifications. NIC operate a discretionary bonus scheme.
References will be taken up if you are invited to interview.
Applications should be sent to Mr. Danny Norcott by email only: email@example.com
Please Note: It is not possible to discuss this application by telephone. All questions or queries must be via email.