Electronic Design Engineer. Potential Head of R&D
|JOB TITLE:||Electronic Design Engineer. Potential Head of R&D|
|REPORTING TO:||Steve Wisbey, The Managing Director|
|LOCATION:||NIC Instruments Ltd, Folkestone, Kent CT19 5NF|
The appointee will be based at NIC Instruments Ltd
OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB NIC Instruments has an on-going programme of electronics research and development, based largely on their lightweight remote operated vehicle (ROV) product line. The product requires on-going research and development in both analogue and digital electronics, including embedded computer / microcontroller software development. This role will be the lead for all electronic aspects of the product and requires experienced electronics engineer with a range of analogue, digital and embedded systems skills. This is an exciting opportunity for a skilled and experienced electronics engineer to utilise and further enhance their skills, working on a project which has significant potential in the world market. The position will particularly suite an individual who enjoys work in a small team environment. The right candidate will have a range of the following skills and qualifications
- Competency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook essential.
- Strong communication and project management skills
- The ability to compile technical proposals, requirements and specification documentation
- Creation of development and production documentation including test schedules and programmes for production hand-over of new products
- Compilation of electronic, firmware and software design notes and appropriate sections of product operations and maintenance manuals
- Provide mentorship, advice and guidance to Design Engineers and Engineers
- Significant hands on design experience plus a minimum of 5-10 years having obtained substantial digital electronics embedded design & development experience
- A degree in Electronic Engineering or equivalent.
- Design and develop software for analogue & digital circuits using embedded programming skills such as C/C++, or assembly language
- An appreciation of real-time embedded firmware would be desirable.
- PCB & Hardware design skills
- Excellent digital design skills, both in simulation, prototype and practical implementation,
- Analogue and Digital circuit design e.g. Switch Mode Power Supply and Low power electronic circuit design
- PCB layout/schematic capture skills and experience with CAD simulation packages
- Excellent digital hardware knowledge – FPGSs/CPLDs, 8-32 bit Microcontrollers (e.g. ARM & PIC, DSP Processors)
- Microprocessor knowledge
- Fault finding to component level on analogue, digital and embedded electronic board layouts
- Schematic capture and layout skills
- Build and test of own prototype electronic and electro-mechanical assemblies.
- BUS Systems
- Knowledge of data transmission on Bus systems, Bus interfaces, Data bus interfacing (RS232, RS485, SPI, UART, I2C, USB etc.),
- IP based communications protocols and networks.
- RF Systems
- A knowledge of RF systems would be an advantage
- Video transmission systems
- A knowledge of Video transmission systems would be an advantage
- EMC experience is essential
- Compliance testing to European and International standards
- Verification testing of Development samples/prototypes.
- Senior Role
- There is potential for the right candidate to head up the R&D team
References will be taken up if you are invited to interview (unless specified otherwise on your application form).
Completed application forms should be returned to Mr. Steve Wisbey at the address below by email only. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Note: It is not possible to discuss this application by telephone. All questions or queries must be by email.